Healing Hearts and Touching Lives
Celebrated at Houlton Regional Hospital’s
Cardiac Rehab Department
Cardiac Rehabilitation Week, celebrated at Houlton Regional Hospital this past February, was initiated by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). It coincides with both Valentine’s Day and American Heart Month in an effort to draw greater national attention to heart health. This year’s theme, “Healing Hearts and Touching Lives,” honors the patients, families and healthcare professionals who are dedicated to cardiac rehabilitation as a vehicle for a healthy lifestyle.
The Cardiac Rehabilitation program at Houlton Regional hospital has been “healing hearts and touching lives” for over 30 years. Professional and compassionate staff provides a positive environment for patients at risk for heart disease and/or those individuals diagnosed with heart disease or dysfunction to improve their health and physical performance.
As part of celebrating Cardiac Rehab Week, participants were asked to share their thoughts on what cardiac rehab means to them and we are pleased to be able to share them with you.
- “The staff are professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Participants develop a bond and a caring attitude for each other which encourages regular attendance. Probably, most important, is that cardiac rehab makes you do what you probably would not do on your own at home – it develops commitment to better health.”
- “Whenever I am asked why I am still in cardiac rehab I usually answer, ‘because it is a matter of life or death – Mine!’…..It is what keeps me going and striving for a long and healthy life.”
- “Part of the reason Cardiac Rehab is important to my life is because of the education I have received on how I can now take better care of myself.”
- “This program motivates me….to learn how to eat right….”
- “Being here at Houlton Regional Hospital’s program has been a God-send to me because it allows me to pursue exercise with safety. Put another way, it is like having a registered nurse as your personal trainer. The machinery here is top notch, and while we use it, the nurses often provide the education we need to recover……..This is a safe and productive place for me to be, with friendly, supportive people, and is right across from the Emergency Room at HRH”.
Many more comments received center around the camaraderie, support and motivation that is gained while attending rehab.
The staff of Cardiopulmonary Services at Houlton Regional Hospital wish to congratulate all past and present attendees of the Cardiac Rehab/Wellness program for their accomplishments and progress towards a healthy heart.
For more information on the Cardiac Rehab Department you may call 207-521-2517, or speak with your physician.