Effective October 15 Houlton Regional Hospital will be participating with HealthInfoNet, Maine’s statewide health information exchange.
Houlton Regional Hospital will be joining 25 other hospitals in the State of Maine who are already participating with HealthInfoNet
It is anticipated that by January 1, 2013 an additional 6 Maine hospitals will be connected with HealthInfoNet and by December 31, 2013 the remaining Maine hospitals will all be participants
WHAT IS HEALTH INFONET?
- HealthInfoNet is Maine based.
- HealthInfoNet is independent and is not owned by insurance companies, health care organizations, associations, employers or government.
- Health InfoNet is a private nonprofit organization.
- 2004 Maine Health Access Foundation, Maine CDC, Maine Quality Forum and Maine Health Information Center study need and support for an exchange in Maine.
- 2005 Stakeholders begin planning and development.
- 2006 HealthInfoNet incorporated with Devore Culver, formally Chief Information Officer of Eastern Maine Healthcare, as Executive Director.
- 2008 the demonstration phase began. Participants included Maine Health, Central Maine Healthcare, Eastern Maine Healthcare, Maine General Health, Martin’s Point Health Care, Franklin Memorial Hospital and the Maine CDC.
HOW DOES IT WORK
- HealthInfoNet’s system combines information from separate health care sites to create a single electronic patient health record.
- Patient health information is automatically uploaded from a provider’s electronic medical record system.
- The information is standardized and aggregated across care sites.
- HealthInfoNet automates reporting of certain illnesses and conditions like Lyme disease or food poisoning, to public health experts at the Maine CDC.
Over the next few weeks Houlton Regional Hospital will continue to share additional information about HealthInfoNet
Visit www.hinfonet.org for more information